- Open Access
Erratum to: Indirect land use changes of biofuel production – a review of modelling efforts and policy developments in the European Union
© Ahlgren and Di Lucia. 2016
- Received: 30 December 2014
- Accepted: 30 December 2014
- Published: 19 February 2016
The original article was published in Biotechnology for Biofuels 2014 7:35
Following publication of the original article  in Biotechnology for Biofuels, we have discovered two errors in our study concerning the interpretation of the results of one of the studies we reviewed, the E GTAP + IFPRI study . First, the values we used in Fig. 2 for Rapeseed, Soybean, Palm fruit and Mixed are not correct. Correct values are 2-19, 16-28, 15-24, 3-11 g CO2-eq per MJ, respectively. Second, in dialog with one of the authors of the named study, Darlington , we have also come to the conclusion that the range of ILUC values in Darlington et al.  should be based on Table 17 of their report in which idle/fallow land is included.
Darlington in an email writes: “Table 17 shows the main analysis. Table 14 just shows the results if the analysis is done similarly to the IFPRI analysis, but we point out in the report that we believe idle land should be included in any analysis of LUC values in the EU, and that is included in Table 17”.
g CO2-eq per MJ
Darlington points out that the quite low ILUC values compared to all the other numbers in the review are because they included the conversion of idle/fallow land to crops in the EU27 in the analysis, where none of the other analyses have attempted to do that. Thus, it shows the importance of getting the land cover correct before doing LUC modeling.
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- Ahlgren S, Di Lucia L. Indirect land use changes of biofuel production – a review of modelling efforts and policy developments in the European Union. Biotechnol Biofuels. 2014;7:35.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Darlington T, Kahlbaum D, O’Connor D, Mueller S: Land use change greenhouse gas emissions of european biofuel policies utilizing the Global Trade Analysis Project (GTAP) Model. Report by Air Improvement Resource, Inc., (S&T)2 Consultants Inc. and University of Illinois, Chicago; 2013.Google Scholar
- Darlington T. Air Improvement Resource, Inc. 2014-06-23 (personal communication) Google Scholar